Online learning has completely taken over the world. Learning is currently happening in the comfort of your own home, rather than the four walls of a classroom. Parents have now become private tutors and children are now having to adapt their learning styles. Online learning is completely new for everyone, so here are some tips and tricks to become a better teacher at home.
- Create an Online Platform
- First things, first – get organized! If your school doesn’t already have an online platform, create one of your own! This makes it easier for both you and the student. Google Classroom is a great place to start.
- Create a Timeline for your students
- Will you send homework and classwork out everyday? Twice a week? Once a week? Set a certain amount of tasks for the week and assign them at the same time each week. This allows for consistency when posting assignments and let’s the students know that they should be expecting something to be posted. This keeps everyone accountable.
- Create different types of teaching methods to support learning styles
- PowerPoints for some, videos for others, Boom Cards etc. Every student has a different learning style and that shouldn’t change because schooling has gone online! By creating different versions of the lesson, every student feels connected and is set up for success.
- Make presentations fun by trying out a new free template! This website has amazing templates that are simple to use for GoogleSlides or PowerPoint!
- If your school is using ZOOM…
- Take advantage of the “virtual background” feature and add a fun background! These are great because it gets your students excited for learning! You can even create a “do now” and have the students describe your background or write a short story! You could also ask questions such as, “What do you think is going to happen in the picture? etc .
- Here are some free ones that are perfect for online learning!
- Create a daily or weekly check – in form for your students
- Google Forms is a great place to make this! These are great to check in with your students to see if they need more support or help with anything inside of the class or outside!
- Check out Reading Rockets
- They have TONS of free resources that could be used online for FUN online learning!
Happy Teaching! If you are using different strategies with your students we’d love to hear about them!